Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Just Doing My Duty

The last few days at the hospital have been pretty quiet overall. That's a good thing. So, no intense stories for you today. I'll get philosophical instead!

In the last few days I received a couple interesting emails. One was from a reporter in Charleston where I am stationed. He wants to put a link to my blog on the Charleston Post and Courier websit. I said no problem. In addition, two Viet Nam veterans emailed me. Both are friends with my uncles. One is a retired Navy Captain which means he did a career in the Navy. The other gentlemen has worked a lot on behalf of Viet Nam Veterans. (interestingly, both vets spelled it Viet Nam not Vietnam... I wonder why) At any rate, the common theme in all these emails was a deep sense of appreciation for our military. They all had kind words to say and thanked me pretty profusely for my service.

It is great to receive messages like this from strangers. It's also important to know that America is behind our military, despite what one's views are regarding this war. Any student of American history knows that it is not always been that way. I cannot imagine what it would be like to not have the support of the American people. When I got off the plane in Baltimore from my last deployment, there was a group of veterans/supporters at the airport thanking us. Awesome. When we left the U.S. this time around, there was also a group there in Banger, Maine to send us off warmly. Nice touch. In short, the support is fabulous. I know so many of my friends and family are praying for me. There is no doubt that it helps. THANK YOU!

The truth of the matter for me is that it's my duty to be here. I really believe that. Ten years ago I joined the Air Force. They gave me a full ride for medical school. The American taxpayers shelled out tens of thousands of dollars for my education. I am now paying it back. It's that simple. Nevertheless, if you would have told me in the year 2000 that I would be deployed to Afghanistan not once but twice in my career, I would not have believed you. I am not sure that I would have raised my right hand to take that oath... "I vow to defend the constitution against all enemies both foreign and domestic". That's being honest. But, 9/11 happened and the world changed. The military has been asked to do a lot. So many service members have sacrificed a great deal. Too many have paid the ultimate sacrifice. For me, I am just doing my duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment