Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Groundhog Day

The news made it here that the good old Pennsylvania groundhog saw his shadow yesterday. Thus, winter will rage on for ya'll back home. I understand it has been a rough winter for most of the USA. Even back in good old Charleston, South Carolina it has been chilly. But, groundhog day has another meaning for us here on deployment.

The movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray is a mediocre flick in which the same day occurs over and over and over. It actually gets annoying watching it. In many ways, that is what deployment is like. Each day runs into the next. You get into a routine and things just feel the same every day. Routine is good in many ways because we know what to expect. It allows us to relax. But, we also need some excitement in our days. The major events of my days here are working, eating, and exercising. A warm shower often is a highlight as well. I guess this is not all that much different than home on a typical weekday. However, there is one main difference which is the lack of freedom that we have here on a military post in a combat zone. You can't just get in the car and cruise over to the ocean. You can't just go for a run through a scenic area of town. You can't just take your dog for a long walk. It's the lack of freedom that can be really drive you nuts!

So, my own little groundhog day has been playing out since I got comfortable with my routine here in early January. It has been testing my ability to keep a positive attitude. With 5 months left to go, the light at the end of the tunnel is stll way out there. However, today I received a big piece of humble pie to put it all into perspective.

We have a 23 year old Army soldier in the hospital right now for a relatively minor condition. He had surgery and will recover just fine barring some unforeseen event. I got to talking with him today about his job. He provides security for colonels and sergeant majors when they are out and about meeting with Afghan village elders. He is in harm's way often. It's a tough job I am sure. I will not be rushing him out of the hospital because I know he needs a break. But, here is the kicker. This fine young soldier was deployed to Iraq previously. Okay. so have tons of other people. But, how many people had an 18 month deployment to Iraq, then just 4 months at home, followed by a 15 month deployment to Aghanistant? That's right, when all is said and done (god willing of course), this solider will have served 33 of 37 months in a combat zone. That's insane!!! I cannot imagine that. It seems like a prison sentence to me. And, he has 3 kids back home. Holy cow! What a major sacrifice for him and his family.

So, my little Groundhog Day will be just fine. I have nothing to complain about today.

2 comments:

  1. 33 out of 37 months, that is crazy! Your right, give that guy plenty of rest.
    The kids say Hi.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even sadder is watching the groundhog day event on the news. How much are those folks getting paid to dress up like Abe Lincoln and looked at a furry animal scurry around. It is pathetic. I am paid based on productivity. Maybe government should try that as well. I bet they wouldn't spend a whole lot of time in meetings about groundhog day. We have some other items currently in crisis to worry about !!!

    ReplyDelete