Wednesday, December 30, 2009

On to the ICU...

Hello again from Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan. I have now been here about 1 week. It's been kind of a whirlwind. But, it has gone by fast. So far I have been spending most of my time getting settled in here. There are a lot of high ranking people here, thus, a lot of politics. Because of this we have to spend a bunch of time in briefings and training sessions. That's over now. Tomorrow I am in the Intensive Care Unit for my first day of official work.

Things are fairly slow here right now. The terrorists tend to hide in their caves for the winter. So, the violence typically goes down through these winter months. But, there have been no shortage of interesting patients so far. We have a 35 year old with a huge blood clot in his lungs called a saddle pulmonary embolus for all you non medical types. The guy almost died. We had to give him fibrolytics or "clot busting" medication. He came through remarkably well. Why did he get a blood clot in his lungs? Well, he just flew from Aghanistan to the U.S. and then back. Long periods of sitting can cause the blood to pool and then clot. This is probably what happened to him. So, get up and stretch those legs on the plane. That's my public service announcement for the day!

At 5:30 AM tomorrow I will be watching my beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers hopefully kick some butt in the bowl game. Go Big Red!!

No comments:

Post a Comment